Saturday, July 24, 2010

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Author:Susanna Kaysen
Reading level: Adult
Publisher: Vintage

Rated 6/10
In 1967, after a session with a psychiatrist she'd never seen before, eighteen-year-old Susanna Kaysen was put in a taxi and sent to McLean Hospital. She spent most of the next two years on the ward for teenage girls in a psychiatric hospital as renowned for its famous clientele--Sylvia Plath, Robert Lowell, James Taylor, and Ray Charles--as for its progressive methods of treating those who could afford its sanctuary.


Kaysen's memoir encompasses horror and razor-edged perception while providing vivid portraits of her fellow patients and their keepers. It is a brilliant evocation of a "parallel universe" set within the kaleidoscopically shifting landscape of the late sixties. Girl, Interrupted is a clear-sighted, unflinching documnet that gives lasting and specific dimension to our definitions of sane and insane, mental illness and recovery.


MY REVIEW
I didn't realize when I first started reading this that it was non fiction and her true life story. After two chapters I went to look at something on the web and found out it was. That being said it wasn't that bad, I didn't like it as much as I do other books, it was just OK for me. I found most of the stuff quite sad actually. I was raised by my schizophrenic mother so I know not all people with mental problems are like the people she described in this book. It was a fast and easy read for people that like those kind of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment