Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Author: Dave Pelzer
Reading level: Adult
Publisher: HCI

Rated 10/10
                                                                                   
Dave Pelzer shares his unforgettable story of the many abuses he suffered at the hands of his alcoholic mother and the averted eyes of his neglectful father. Someone with no one to turn to, his dreams barely kept him alive. Through each of his struggles, readers will find themselves enduring his pain, comforting his loneliness and fighting for his will to survive.
MY REVIEW
I absolutely love this book,it's been one of my favorite books for the past 6 years since the age of 16 when I had first read it. And reading it again was just as hard as the first time. This is the story of Dave Pelzer who had one of the worst cases of child abuse in California history. It goes from when he was rescued and taken from his mom in the 5th grade to where he accounts what his mother used to be like before the abuse.Then we get to see how his mother changed from a loving mother to a monster. It's just as hard to read the second time as it was the first,even though I already knew what was gonna happen. And it got to me more this time around because I am a mother myself and don't know how a mother could be like that. Dave wasn't the only child and yet he was the one who was abused by his mother,ignored by his father whom he thought of as a hero and eventually abused by his brothers as well. I'm glad Dave eventully got out of being abused and is where he is today. I defiantly think everyone should read this book and become aware of the fact that children are still being abused til this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment